Wednesday, 30 September 2026

DNOS X FINL PAIN OF THE DTHING EGO

 A

The “Dark Night of the Soul” in Balsekar’s teaching

In the context of the talk you summarised, Balsekar’s “dark night” is essentially the painful collapse of the belief in a separate individual self.

It is important, though, to distinguish this from St. John of the Cross’s original Christian mystical use of “dark night.” Balsekar is using the expression within his Advaita framework.

1. The seeker initially believes there is a “me”

Ordinary consciousness begins with an apparently obvious assumption:

I am an individual.

I have my history, my desires, my decisions, my suffering and my spiritual journey.

Then Advaita introduces a disturbing question:

Who is this “I”?

Initially, this can remain an intellectual exercise.

But if the investigation becomes existential rather than merely philosophical, something much more unsettling can happen.


2. The spiritual ego starts to lose its foundations

The ordinary ego says:

“I am the one doing things.”

Advaita says:

Actions happen, but where is the independent doer?

The ego then tries to defend itself:

“Perhaps I am not the physical doer—but I am the witness.”

So the identity shifts:

“I am the doer”
→ “I am the witness.”

But Balsekar's investigation doesn't necessarily stop there.

Who is the witness?

If the witness itself is treated as a separate entity, there is still a subtle duality:

me → witnessing → world

The investigation therefore begins undermining even the spiritual identity.


3. This is where the “darkness” appears

The ego wants something it can hold onto.

It can tolerate:

“I am becoming enlightened.”

It can tolerate:

“I am a witness.”

It can even tolerate:

“I am surrendering to God.”

Because each formulation still leaves an implicit “I”.

But Balsekar's radical conclusion is:

There is no independent “I” behind the functioning.

That can feel like psychological groundlessness.

The question becomes:

If there is no separate me, who am I?

And there is no conceptual answer that can satisfy the mind.

That is the darkness.


4. Why it can be painful

The ego doesn't merely consist of an abstract idea.

Your sense of “me” is tied to:

  • control

  • achievement

  • responsibility

  • personal history

  • relationships

  • ambitions

  • spiritual progress

  • hopes for the future

  • resistance to what happens

So when the belief in independent authorship is seriously questioned, the mind can experience it almost as a death.

Not necessarily physical death.

Rather:

The death of the one who thought it was living the story.

This explains the language of the “dying ego.”


5. The deepest irony: even enlightenment can become egoic

This is one of the most important subtleties.

The ego can appropriate almost anything.

It can say:

“I am enlightened.”

Or:

“I have transcended the ego.”

Or:

“I am experiencing the dark night.”

Or even:

“I have realised that there is no self.”

Each statement can potentially recreate the very structure being investigated.

So Balsekar's teaching removes the ego's final refuge:

You cannot turn non-doership into another achievement of the doer.

There is no prize for the ego at the end.


6. Why surrender becomes crucial

This is where Balsekar's Bhakti → Jnana progression becomes especially important.

At first:

“God, I surrender my life to You.”

This is devotion.

Then:

“Who is the ‘I’ that is surrendering?”

This becomes self-inquiry.

Finally:

“The separate ‘I’ cannot be found.”

The surrender becomes complete—not necessarily because an individual successfully surrendered, but because the assumed independent individual is no longer taken to be ultimately real.

So surrender isn't merely:

“I will accept whatever happens.”

It goes deeper:

“I relinquish the claim that I am the independent author of what happens.”


7. The crucial distinction: pain ≠ suffering

Balsekar's statement about having experienced “pain and grief” is significant here.

His teaching does not imply:

“Nothing painful happens.”

Bodies experience pain.
People die.
Relationships end.
Loss occurs.
Grief occurs.

The proposed transformation is in the relationship to those events.

There can be:

pain → without psychological ownership

rather than:

pain → “Why is this happening to me?” → resistance → identification → prolonged suffering

The event itself isn't necessarily what creates the deepest bondage.

The additional story of “me to whom this must not be happening” is what becomes important.


8. The darkest point: “There never was a me”

This is perhaps the most radical quote you supplied:

“There never was any ‘me’ to suffer.”

Notice that this isn't saying:

“The me existed but eventually became enlightened.”

It is saying something much more disruptive:

The independently existing me was an illusion from the beginning.

Hence his analogy of hypnosis.

Under hypnosis, something can appear completely real while the hypnosis is operating.

When the hypnosis is recognized:

the experience may continue, but its assumed reality changes.

Likewise, according to Balsekar, the body-mind continues functioning.

The person continues talking.

Eating.

Working.

Loving.

Getting angry.

Making decisions.

But the belief:

“Behind all of this there is an independently existing person who is authoring it”

is seen through.


9. And this is where the “dark night” ends

The important point is that the conclusion isn't:

“I have destroyed my ego.”

That would still be an ego claiming an accomplishment.

Rather:

“The ego was never the independent entity I imagined it to be.”

That's the shift from destruction to recognition.

You don't have to kill the dream character.

You wake up from the assumption that the dream character is who you fundamentally are.


The entire dark night in one movement

You could map Balsekar's teaching like this:

“I am the doer.”
↓
“Perhaps I am the witness.”
↓
“Who is the witness?”
↓
“Can an independent witness be found?”
↓
Ground disappears.
↓
The ego experiences this as death.
↓
There is no separate ‘me’ to be liberated.
↓
The illusion is recognised as illusion.
↓
Jnana.

And the most concise formulation would be:

The Dark Night is not the suffering of an ego trying to become enlightened; it is the suffering that accompanies the collapse of the belief that there is an independent ego who can become enlightened.

That is why Balsekar's “dark night” is so closely connected to non-doership, surrender, witnessing, and Jnana. They are not four separate teachings. They are different angles on the same investigation: What, exactly, is this “me” that claims to be living the life?

No comments:

Post a Comment