Tuesday, 15 September 2026

C You are not safe because nothing will ever be lost. You are safe because loss does not have the power to destroy who you fundamentally are. C MERGES TO KRSNA OR NOUGHT CMTKON

 A

Deep Dive: “God's Plans for Me Are Built Upon a Rock”

“God's plans for me are built upon a rock. What was mine in the beginning is mine now and ever shall be mine.”
— Florence Scovel Shinn

This quote speaks directly to the central tension explored in your previous reflections: How do we pursue what we desire without becoming afraid that we will lose it?

Shinn offers a radically different foundation for desire.

Instead of believing that your future depends entirely on your ability to force, control, or secure outcomes, she invites you to trust in a deeper order of life.

The central message is:

What is truly aligned with your highest good cannot ultimately be taken from you by temporary circumstances.


1. “God's Plans for Me Are Built Upon a Rock”

The image of a rock represents permanence, stability, and foundation.

A house built on sand is vulnerable to changing conditions.

A house built on rock has something beneath it that remains stable.

Spiritually, the rock represents:

  • Divine intelligence.

  • Truth.

  • Faith.

  • Inner consciousness.

  • A deeper order beyond temporary circumstances.

The metaphor suggests that your life should not be psychologically built upon constantly changing conditions.

Not:

"I am safe because everything is going according to plan."

But:

"I am grounded because my foundation is deeper than circumstances."

This connects directly to Yogananda's teaching about standing unshaken amidst breaking worlds.


2. The Difference Between Circumstances and Foundation

Imagine two houses.

House One: Built on Circumstances

Its foundation depends on:

  • Financial success.

  • Other people's approval.

  • A particular relationship.

  • Career progress.

  • Predictable outcomes.

When circumstances change, the entire structure shakes.

House Two: Built on Inner Foundation

Its circumstances may still change.

But beneath them is something more stable:

  • Self-trust.

  • Faith.

  • Values.

  • Consciousness.

  • Spiritual connection.

The storms still occur.

But they don't destroy the foundation.

The Important Insight

A stable life is not necessarily a life with stable circumstances.

It is a life with a stable center.


3. “What Was Mine in the Beginning Is Mine Now and Ever Shall Be Mine”

This is the most intriguing part of the quote.

At first glance, it sounds like a promise of guaranteed possession.

But there is a deeper interpretation.

Shinn is not necessarily talking about specific material objects.

She may be pointing toward the idea that what is genuinely meant for you—what aligns with your authentic purpose, nature, and highest good—does not need to be chased through desperation.

There is a distinction between:

What You Think You Need

A particular person.

A specific job.

A certain amount of money.

A particular timeline.

What Is Truly Yours

Your capacity to love.

Your creativity.

Your intelligence.

Your growth.

Your purpose.

Your ability to experience abundance.

Your authentic potential.

Temporary circumstances cannot permanently remove these things.


4. The Spiritual Reframe of Loss

This quote challenges the conventional interpretation of loss.

Most people think:

"If I lose something, it is gone forever."

The spiritual perspective asks:

"Was that thing truly mine, or was I temporarily attached to its form?"

This is not to deny grief.

Loss hurts.

Relationships ending hurt.

Missed opportunities hurt.

But perhaps what is lost externally is not always lost internally.

Sometimes a relationship teaches you how to love.

Sometimes a failure teaches you resilience.

Sometimes an opportunity closes and reveals a larger path.

The form changes.

The deeper essence may remain.


5. Desire Without Fear of Loss

This is where the quote beautifully connects to David Bayer's teaching.

Earlier, we identified the progression:

"I want this."

becomes:

"I need this."

becomes:

"I need this soon."

becomes:

"If I don't get this, I'm a failure."

Shinn offers an alternative progression.

Instead of:

"I want this, therefore I must control it."

Try:

"I desire this, and I trust that what is truly aligned cannot be lost through temporary circumstances."

This doesn't mean abandoning effort.

It means removing desperation from effort.


6. The Illusion of Scarcity

The mind often operates from scarcity.

It assumes:

  • There is only one opportunity.

  • There is only one person.

  • There is only one path.

  • If I don't get it now, I'll never get it.

  • If this fails, everything is over.

Scarcity creates urgency.

Urgency creates attachment.

Attachment creates fear.

Fear creates desperate action.

This is the cycle we discussed previously.

Shinn's teaching interrupts the cycle at its foundation.

If you trust that life is not limited to one specific form, you no longer need to force every circumstance.


7. “What Is Mine” vs. “What I Am Trying to Possess”

This distinction deserves careful attention.

There is a difference between receiving something and possessing something psychologically.

You can love someone without trying to own them.

You can pursue success without believing it defines your identity.

You can enjoy wealth without making it responsible for your safety.

You can appreciate an opportunity without becoming terrified of losing it.

The spiritual paradox is:

The more desperately you try to possess something, the more emotionally dependent you become upon it.

The more securely you are rooted within yourself, the more freely you can participate in life.


8. Trust Does Not Mean Passive Waiting

A common misunderstanding of spiritual affirmations is that faith means doing nothing.

But trust and action are not opposites.

Fear-Based Action

"I must make this happen immediately."

Trust-Based Action

"I will do my part fully, but I do not need to control every variable."

The difference is internal state.

Both people may work hard.

But one is working from panic.

The other is working from grounded commitment.

The second person usually has access to better judgment, creativity, and patience.


9. The Rock as a Psychological Anchor

Even if someone doesn't interpret the quote religiously, the metaphor remains psychologically useful.

What is your rock?

Perhaps it is:

  • Your principles.

  • Your meditation practice.

  • Your faith.

  • Your ability to adapt.

  • Your self-respect.

  • Your commitment to truth.

  • Your understanding that emotions are temporary.

When life becomes chaotic, you need something that does not change every time circumstances change.

Otherwise, your entire identity becomes reactive.


10. The Relationship Between Faith and Detachment

These two principles reinforce one another.

Detachment Says:

"I don't need to control the outcome to be okay."

Faith Says:

"I trust that life can unfold in ways that serve my deeper good."

Together, they create a powerful state:

Effort without desperation.

You pursue.

You participate.

You prepare.

You act.

But you release the demand that reality must immediately validate you.


11. The Hidden Power of “Ever Shall Be Mine”

This phrase points toward continuity.

The mind tends to live in temporary snapshots:

  • Today I succeeded.

  • Today I failed.

  • Today they love me.

  • Today they rejected me.

  • Today I have money.

  • Today I don't.

But a deeper perspective sees life as a process rather than a series of isolated verdicts.

One moment does not define the entire trajectory.

A setback is not necessarily a final destination.

A delay is not necessarily denial.

An ending is not necessarily the end of your capacity to receive something meaningful.

This perspective creates resilience.


12. A Powerful Question: What Cannot Be Taken From Me?

When triggered by fear of loss, ask:

What am I afraid of losing?

Then ask:

What would remain even if I lost it?

For example:

If I lose the job:

I still have skills, experience, intelligence, and capacity.

If I lose the relationship:

I still possess the capacity to love and be loved.

If this opportunity disappears:

I still have creativity and the ability to create new opportunities.

If my plans change:

I still have the ability to adapt.

This exercise redirects attention from external possession to internal abundance.


13. The Difference Between Fate and Faith

There is a subtle philosophical distinction here.

Fate says:

"Everything is predetermined, so my actions don't matter."

Faith says:

"I cannot control everything, but I can trust myself and life enough to participate fully."

The second is empowering.

You still have agency.

You still make choices.

You still take responsibility.

But you stop believing that every variable must obey your expectations.


14. How This Changes Your Relationship With Setbacks

Without trust, setbacks feel like threats.

With trust, setbacks become information.

Instead of:

"This proves I failed."

You can ask:

"What is this teaching me?"

Instead of:

"Everything is falling apart."

You can ask:

"What is changing, and what remains true?"

Instead of:

"I lost what was mine."

You can ask:

"What is genuinely aligned with me, and what was I attached to?"

This doesn't eliminate disappointment.

It prevents disappointment from becoming identity collapse.


15. The Three Questions Applied to This Quote

Let's integrate everything into the practice from A Changed Mind.

1. What Do I Want?

Be honest.

Don't suppress desire.

"I want this relationship."

"I want this opportunity."

"I want financial freedom."

"I want to succeed."

There is no shame in wanting.


2. What Am I Making This Mean?

Examine the story.

"If I don't get this, I'll never get anything."

"If this person leaves, I'll never be loved."

"If this opportunity disappears, my future is over."

"If I don't succeed now, I'm a failure."

Notice how the mind turns temporary circumstances into permanent conclusions.


3. Who Would I Be If I Knew I Was Going to Be Okay?

Now bring in Shinn's message.

If your life is built upon a rock...

If what is truly aligned with you cannot ultimately be taken away...

If your worth does not depend on one outcome...

Who would you be?

You would likely become:

  • Less desperate.

  • More patient.

  • More courageous.

  • More discerning.

  • More creative.

  • More willing to release what isn't aligned.

  • More capable of receiving what is.


16. The Deepest Psychological Transformation

The shift is from:

"I Must Make My Future Happen."

To:

"I Will Participate Fully in Creating My Future, Without Believing My Life Depends on Controlling Every Outcome."

That is maturity.

That is spiritual adulthood.

You still have ambition.

But ambition is no longer fueled by fear of inadequacy.

You still have goals.

But goals are no longer conditions for self-worth.

You still want abundance.

But scarcity no longer dictates every decision.


Final Synthesis: The Rock, the Desire, and the Unshakable Self

All three teachings we've explored fit together remarkably well.

Yogananda:

Stand unshaken amidst breaking worlds.

David Bayer:

Don't allow desire to become dependency.

Florence Scovel Shinn:

Build your life upon a foundation deeper than circumstances.

Together, they create a complete philosophy of inner stability:

Desire what you genuinely want. Pursue it wholeheartedly. Release the need to control its exact form or timing. Trust that your deepest good is not dependent on temporary circumstances. Return repeatedly to the inner foundation that cannot be destroyed by external change.

The ultimate realization is this:

You are not safe because nothing will ever be lost. You are safe because loss does not have the power to destroy who you fundamentally are.

And perhaps that is what it means to build one's life upon a rock.

Not to prevent the storms.

But to become someone the storms cannot ultimately define.

No comments:

Post a Comment