Wednesday 4 September 2019

B I don't know any devout Buddhist or yogi today who eats meat without some degree of cognitive dissonance.

 I don't know any devout Buddhist or yogi today who eats meat without some degree of cognitive dissonance.

I'm saying anyone who knows about the impact of animal agriculture and still continues to eat meat in the 21st century feels cognitive dissonance. Eating meat in the time of Buddha didn't involve the clearing of rainforests and the creation of dead zones in the ocean near rivers where waste is emptied. They didn't have to consider climate change in their day either

It is important to remember the heart of the Buddha’s teaching, which involved the principle of non-killing, non-harm, and metta, which he explicitly extended to animals.

I choose to live in accord with ahimsa and not cause needless suffering knowing there are more and more plant-based alternatives to eating animals. I have a niece and a nephew, I see the world from their eyes more and more, this compels me to choose a diet that is part of the cure and not the cancer. It is what it is, dharma, karma, samsara, and nirvana.

If you understand the 1st Noble Truth, that life is suffering and the 2nd, that craving causes suffering, then we would understand that nature itself doesn’t mean that it lacks suffering and can be highly unethical, and that craving can increase suffering in this world, such as craving that leads to the destruction of animal bodies.


Predators and prey is part of the nature.
As is suffering, why would something being natural make it not a cause of suffering?
Because I like quoting Ikkyu:
nature's a killer I won't sing to it

I hold my breath and listen to the dead singing under the grass

No comments:

Post a Comment