Sunday, 30 August 2026

RB X WM X TM

 A

Takeaway: Ramesh Balsekar’s distinction between the working mind and the thinking mind is one of the clearest, most practical explanations of Advaita Vedanta in modern language. It shows how suffering arises not from life itself, but from psychological commentary layered on top of life.

Below is a deep, structured breakdown of the two minds — what they are, how they function, and why Balsekar insists that awakening is simply the dissolution of the “thinking mind.”

🧠 1. The Working Mind vs. Thinking Mind (Core Distinction)

Working Mind

The functional, practical, present‑moment mind. It deals with what is happening right now.

  • Solves problems

  • Makes decisions

  • Responds to situations

  • Operates machinery

  • Drives a car

  • Writes code

  • Cooks food

It is impersonal, efficient, and free of psychological suffering.

Balsekar:

The working mind is the mind that functions in daily life without creating bondage.

Thinking Mind

The psychological, egoic, narrative‑creating mind. It deals with what is not happening right now.

  • Regret about the past

  • Anxiety about the future

  • Judgments

  • Blame

  • Pride

  • Shame

  • “What if?”

  • “Why me?”

It is personal, reactive, and the source of suffering.

Balsekar:

The thinking mind is the mind that creates the illusion of a personal doer.

🌀 2. Why Balsekar Makes This Distinction

Because in Advaita Vedanta:

  • There is no individual doer.

  • Actions happen through the body‑mind organism.

  • Suffering arises when the thinking mind claims ownership of those actions.

The working mind simply functions. The thinking mind says:

“I did this. I should have done that. I am responsible. I am guilty. I am proud.”

This is the birth of the ego‑illusion.

Guided link: non‑doership

🔥 3. A Simple Anecdote to Illustrate the Difference

The Broken Glass

A man accidentally knocks a glass off the table.

Working Mind:

  • “The glass fell.”

  • “Clean it up.”

  • “Be careful next time.” Action. Clarity. No suffering.

Thinking Mind:

  • “I’m so stupid.”

  • “Why does this always happen to me?”

  • “People will think I’m careless.”

  • “I should be more mindful.” Narrative. Identity. Suffering.

Same event. Two minds. Two realities.

Guided link: ego narrative

🌊 4. How This Relates to Enlightenment

For Balsekar, enlightenment is not a mystical state. It is simply:

The dissolution of the thinking mind’s ownership of action.

The working mind continues functioning normally. The thinking mind loses its grip.

This is why awakened beings still:

  • eat

  • speak

  • teach

  • drive

  • laugh

  • get angry

But they do not create psychological bondage around these actions.

Guided link: Advaita awakening

🧩 5. The Deep Insight

The working mind is life happening. The thinking mind is life interpreted.

The working mind is reality. The thinking mind is story.

The working mind is freedom. The thinking mind is suffering.

🧭 6. Quick Table (For Memory)

ConceptWorking MindThinking Mind
NatureFunctionalPsychological
TimePresentPast/Future
ToneNeutralEmotional
FunctionSolvesJudges
IdentityNoneEgo
ResultClaritySuffering

If you want, I can also create:

  • a diagram of the two mindsdiagram two minds

  • a comparison with Eckhart Tollecompare with Tolle

  • a modern example (workplace, relationships)modern example

Just tell me where you want to go next, ABHIJIT.

No comments:

Post a Comment