Friday 24 December 2021

BORODIN 57

 ##############



WHO IS THIS OLD MAN IN MIRRORR? 

WITCON EVER YOUNG LOOKS ON


####################

Carrots are a humble vegetable, but in a way they are a superfood due to their richness in beta-carotene, a precursor of vitamin A.

Vitamin A is essential for the immune system, reproduction, skin and mucus membranes, eyes and healthy vision, and heart health.


########################

barrie- 

"God gave us memory so that we might have roses in December."

######################

I am a clown … and I collect moments.
– Heinrich Böll, The Clown (1963)

############
 In the first 20 years of the millennium, international tourism arrivals more than doubled, from 700 million in 2000 to almost 1.5 billion in 2019. Over that period, travel, for those of us lucky enough to enjoy it, has become synonymous with wellbeing, a vital adjunct of a fulfilling life.

###############
New experiences have a mnemonic quality – they create a more lasting imprint in the brain

################
As travel democratised, a consensus grew that a storied life must necessarily be a well-travelled one

###############

My most distressing childhood memories were, in fact, lurid dramatisations of events I’d never witnessed

In his book The Interpretation of Dreams (1899), Sigmund Freud described the death of a father as ‘the most important event, the most poignant loss in a man’s life’. I don’t know if that’s true. But I think I have always known that the first waymarker on my trip around the physical world was the same moment that upended my private one. According to the death certificate, that was at 10:30pm on 13 March 1985, when my father succumbed to non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma in a London hospital, at the age of 32. Right from the start, the trauma of this event corrupted the way I processed and recalled experiences. Henceforward, my hippocampus would be a faulty and elastic device. I was four years old at the time of my father’s death. But I have no concrete memories between then and the age of eight.



#############
The narcissistic atmosphere of the selfie age had exposed the solipsism of my own quest

################
There seems no way of divining what will become of our compulsion to wander

################



solipsism - the view or theory that the self is all that can be known to exist.



######################


################

Silent Night... 

Silent night, staying home tonight,
Phone is on, screen is bright.
Round John Lewis in search of a gift;
Too late for that – but hold on, what’s this?

Silent night, staying home tonight,
Christmas cake, iced in white.
Movies stream on Netflix or Sky.
Just can’t think of a present to buy:

Silent night, staying home tonight,
Did somebody sneeze? Gesundheit.

No comments:

Post a Comment